Friday, June 18, 2010

Tool #11

Three things I would want my students to understand about digital citizenship are digital etiquette, digital literacy, and digital law.

Digital etiquette - If I plan to use a blog or expect my students to create their own blogs and interact with me and one another, I would like for them to understand that there is an expectation of appropriate behavior online as there is in my actual classroom. I would like for my students to know how to leave comments that express their opinions but are also constructive and meaningful.

Digital literacy -I would also like for my students to know how and when to use digital technology appropriately and safely. They should know how to obtain information and distinguish between credible and non credible sources. They should know which type of media would be the best to use for certain purposes. I would like for my students to know more than "Google".

Digital law - I would like my students to also be ethical in their use of digital technology knowing between right and wrong. Students understand that taking someone else's written words as their own is wrong but do they understand that it is also wrong even when they are posted on a blog or anywhere on the internet? Do they understand why it is wrong to download and share copyrighted music without paying for it?

I can't expect my students to be good digital citizens without being one myself. I would teach my students to be good digital citizens through modeling. I would use mini lessons to teach those who have not had experience with digital technology and then to also remind those who have had experience. These mini lessons would be given before the use of the digital media.

1 comment:

  1. Being a good digital citizen is not something that kids think about and it has to be taught to them. I am glad that you did this journey and that you will be able to address some issues with your students next year.

    ReplyDelete