Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tool #6

I learned about wikis for the first time at a T3 training. I'm still trying to figure out how I would use them in my classroom. I can see how it would be a great way for students working on group projects to work together in and out of the classroom. If each member of the group had a different part to work on, they could easily have one place to put all of their work together rather than having each part in a different place and then waiting to get together back in the classroom to put it all together.

Specifically for a math class, I thought I would use it as a homework help forum where students can help one another on homework problems. I also thought about posting an extension/challenge problem where again students can work together to solve the problem and possibly earn extra credit points.

Wikis would be great for team planning - setting up a calendar of special events, when and what particular units are going to be taught (integrating purposes), or just letting each other know when major projects or tests will be given.

With my teaching partner, a wiki could be set up for planning units and lesson plans allowing the both of us to contribute or make changes where necessary.

For the entire department, a wiki may be created to aid in vertical planning of concepts where each grade level submits the extent to which they cover the particular concept.

1 comment:

  1. a wiki would be a great way for the student to communicate back to the teacher with questions. Also kids could share while working on group projects.

    ReplyDelete